Monday, October 8, 2007

eBay Find of the Day: Vintage Globe

Old globes are so cool.

First, they're just great accessories (check out the lovely collection, above, posted in HGTV's flickr pool). But they're also a physical reminder of how much the world has changed -- and continues to change -- as borders shift, nations fall, and others rise.

Take this minty 1967 lighted model from Denmark, for instance. Its super-stylin' Lucite base, awesome night-light capabilities, and generous size (38 inches in diameter) aside, it's a beautiful remnant of a political landscape that no longer exists.

In other words, back when there was a U.S.S.R.

Current bid: $1.

4 comments:

katiedid said...

They ARE cool!

Mandy Lou said...

How fun! I've got a couple old globes, never occured to me to display them all together. Hmm, maybe I need a few more...

Anonymous said...

I love this SO much. If it weren't for the ridiculous shipping cost, and my space constraints, I would be fighting for this one.

When I have a big house someday, it's going to be filled with awesome globes.

Love that picture, too.

Leah said...

Hi Katie,

I initially blanched at that shipping cost, too -- until I looked at it more closely and saw that it was for Priority Mail (which can indeed be very pricey).

There's also the option to ship Parcel Post for around $14, which seems much more reasonable if you're willing to wait an extra few days for delivery.

All the best,

Leah

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.