Sunday, July 22, 2007

Trendspotting: Are Horns the New Antlers?

Remember how, a couple of years ago, deer antlers started popping up all over design magazines -- usually striking a surprisingly rustic, primitive note in an otherwise sleek and sophisticated interior? I’m starting to notice the same thing happening with animal horns.

Often culled from Vietnamese water buffalo (though African antelope and domestic cow horns make occasional appearances as well), these products tend to be labeled “cruelty-free” and “eco-friendly” because the animals aren’t killed for their horns. Rather, the horns are harvested after the animal dies (or is slaughtered for meat or other byproducts), as part of a “nothing is wasted” philosophy. I guess whether that’s truly cruelty-free is a bit subjective -- as is the lure of having a bunch of dead bovine bits laying around your home.

Still, there’s no denying that the material itself is beautiful and lends a dramatic, earthy touch to a super-luxe, sleek minimalist, or “organic modern” space.

A look at some of the “horn décor” on the market now:

Tyrol Horn Centerpiece, $125, from Plantation Home

Mombasa Pencil Cup, $23, from See Jane Work

Mombasa Desk Tray, $70

Horn Bath Accessories, $25 to $45, from Williams Sonoma Home

Horn Tray, $34, from the Well Dressed Home

Plantation Organic Horn Bowl Set, $95

Roost Horn Bowl Set, $125

Plantation Brushed Horn Bowl, $95

Horn Boxes, $75 to $165, from Vivre

Vivre Horn Frames, $30 and $45

Horn Frames, $16 and $29, from West Elm

Plantation Italian Horn Candleholder, $195

Plantation Set of Three Italian Horn Candleholders, $1,695

Plantation Horn Sconce, $995

Roost Horn Lamp, $429, from Velocity

Vintage Horn Lamp, $980, from 1stdibs

Horn Lamp, $425, from Semplice

Plantation Italian Horn Desk Lamp, $1,195

Plantation Italian Single Horn Lamp, $1,695

Plantation Framed Italian Horn Lamp, $1,995

Well Dressed Home Horn Objet, $165

Plantation Long Horn Statue, $395

Plantation Kudu Antelope Horn Statues, $995 each

Plantation Italian Horn Table, $1,400

Plantation Italian Horn Nesting Tables, $5,995 for a set of three

What do you think -- elegant “safari chic,” or just kind of icky? I can't quite decide -- but I do sincerely hope that "hoof decor" isn't next.

(Photos at top: Kim Christie for Canadian House & Home, May 2007; Jan Cevcik, NaturePhoto-CZ; Rick Brazil for Amy Levine Interior Design)

4 comments:

katiedid said...

Wow! You hit the horn jackpot here! Some great finds. I am thinking I must have all that WS stuff right now.

Anonymous said...

I blame Miles Redd.

It's funny, I was looking for horn images for a ubiquitous design object post a little while ago, and they were tough to find. now they are EVERYWHERE!

I'm not a vegetarian, but something about displaying animal parts in my home doesn't really sit well with me. I think it reminds me of taxidermy, which reminds me of Norman Bates or something.

An exception to my rule are Texas longhorns on a UT fan's big old orange Cadillac convertible. That's always a sight to behold.

Becky

girl meets glamour said...

I think you are absolutely right, they are the new antlers!!! And your finds are fantastic Leah...esp all those lamps :)

Anonymous said...

hi,

I saw your horn treasures, and wondered if you saw the cabinet pulls from ochre.net made of horn? I only wish I could afford them. Any tips on finding a more reasonably priced version? You seem to be great at finding things.

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.