Thursday, July 19, 2007

Color Obsession: Painted Houses

Thanks to Meghan in Charleston, South Carolina, I totally stand corrected on the issue of colorful houses on these shores (see the post below). Turns out that we Americans are, too, bold with color when it comes to the exteriors of our homes.

A link that Meghan posted to a pic of the painted houses on Charleston's Rainbow Row (above, taken by flickr member william.ward) led to a flickr search for other colorful rowhouse streets. Before I knew what had hit me, hours had passed and I was completely down the rabbit hole. (Living in the Bay Area, my first thought, of course, was of the "Painted Ladies" along Alamo Square in San Francisco -- but that image is so cliched that I won't bore you with it here.)

Some color inspiration from around the U.S., and the world:

Haight Street, San Francisco (by Agent of Darkness)

Daly City, California's "little boxes of ticky tacky" (by Thomas Hawk)

Washington, D.C. (by Ronnie R)

Baltimore, Maryland (by Zombie37)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (by Komal Soin)

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico (by MairimG)

Guanajuato, Mexico (by Wyoming Quinn -- thanks Wyoming!)

La Boca, Buenos Aires, Argentina (by Caleb Bennett)

Valparaiso, Chile (by d.composed)

Halifax, Nova Scotia (by Holsz, via bird and beef -- thanks, bird and beef!)

St. John's, Newfoundland -- which, by the way, is my husband's ancestral home: All hail Newfoundland! (by Rexton)

Reykjavik, Iceland (by clatiek)

Cobh, Ireland (by erinpolgreen24)

An unnamed Irish village (by Desert Vu)

Llandeilo, Wales (by The Welsh Knight)

Portobello Road, London (by Interrobang)

Notting Hill, London (by me)

Nyhavn, Copenhagen (by courriel_vert)

Burano, Italy (by Roberto Herrett)

Tenerife, Canary Islands (by supersl84)

South Africa (from the book Shack Chic: Art and Innovation in South African Shack-lands, by Craig Fraser -- thanks for the tip, Nancy!)

Is there a street of exuberantly colorful houses in your neck of the woods? If so, and if you can track down an image of it online, please post the link in the comments box. Thanks!

9 comments:

ChiGirl said...

I really enjoyed this post. That's the first thing I noticed about San Francisco when I was there a long time ago, and didn't realize so many other places are vibrant like that!

girl meets glamour said...

Just beautiful!!! This collection of images is brilliant Leah. Great post :)

~Kate

katiedid said...

I so enjoyed this post! We are going to be painting our house soon and this gives me alot of inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you included that last one in Tenerife. I'd found a similar photo of houses in Santa Cruz, but your choice is even more colorful.

mod*mom said...

it's nice to see the variety of colors in cities all over the world

New York Muhtari said...

http://newyorkmuhtari.blogspot.com/2007/07/park-slope-brooklyn_4398.html

http://newyorkmuhtari.blogspot.com/2007/06/washington-dc-den-sevgiler_1189.html

I loved the photos you posted :-))

Anonymous said...

I know I'm really late on this... first of all I ADORE your blog! I've been lurking for weeks and I love going back into your archives.

The colors in this post are absolutely stunning.... but the Shack Chic book? Hmmm... maybe I need to pick it up at the library because I just don't get it. I would think that folks living in shacks put up colored sheet metal and plastic bottle wallpaper because that's all they can access or find, not because they match and coordinate. What do you think?

Leah said...

Anon. -- I think Shack Chic is meant, at least in part, to be ironic.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I thought I would share a pic this one colorful town with you:
http://www.telc.balon.cz/img/photo-gallery/telc/telc3-big.jpg

The name is Telc (in Czech Republic)and it's my hometown. Believe me, the picture doesn't show half of the beauty. Cheers, Jiri.

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.