Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Etsy Find of the Day: John Clark's Portraits of Women

These portraits, drawn with Sharpies on old book pages by Ann Arbor, Michigan artist and Etsy seller John Clark, remind me of that Nails song 88 Lines About 44 Women. (Uh-oh, am I showing my age again?)

The images are deeply penetrating, the imagined stories behind them perhaps a little sad, the succinct titles -- formed from words on the page that have been left exposed -- telling but elusive. I can't stop thinking about them. Top: No Man is Worth That Much; above: I Wanted to Get Away

Clockwise: My Empty Bed, He Loved Her, Close the Door, and Without a Word

Clockwise: That Last Night, I Saw It in Your Face, Another Story, and It Was Very Hot

There are dozens more, all equally compelling. Prints are just $10 each; originals, $70 to $100. Clark will do custom portraits as well.

(Discovered Via Holly Becker's "A Few Good (Etsy) Men" slideshow over at the Domino site.)

4 comments:

Terri said...

Those are kind of cool!
Terri

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really love these...so much that I just purchased three prints!

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with these. I treated myself to three of them, and when I got the prints int he mail, the artist had included a fourth one "just because."

I'm now going to start giving framed prints to my friends as gifts. Just because.

Leah said...

Laura -- that's so great!

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.