Friday, May 9, 2008

Etsy Find of the Day: Cathy Cullis Mixed-Media Textile Art

I don't know what it is about embroidery used in non-traditional ways (remember Diem Chau's amazing embroidered china?), but I just can't get enough of it right now. So when I saw the delicately beautiful mixed-media needlework pieces (like Midnight Stitches, $70, above) from London's Cathy Cullis, I fell hard and fast.

Cullis layers her creations using stitchery, vintage fabric scraps, book pages, and found papers. The loose threads give these a wistful quality that, quite literally, tugs at my heart. Take a look:

Tea and Cakes, $70

We May Be Trusted, $80

Give and Take My Love, $70

Each piece is mounted on 8-by-10-inch artist board and is ready to frame. See all of the textile art in Cullis' Etsy shop (she has another Etsy storefront called Novembermoon where she sells beautiful handmade fabric dolls and original paintings, too).

And check out more of Cullis' work right here.

3 comments:

Pamphilia said...

Yes! And "Midnight Stitches" has the text of Austen's Mansfield Park too.

please sir said...

Interesting work and find!

Anonymous said...

I love these May Doll! Precious!

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.