Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cool Stuff: Poster Hangers

Photo by Lisa Congdon

When I popped in to check out San Francisco's Rare Device awhile back, I oohed and aahed over the three sheets of beautiful Ferm Living wallpaper hung like art behind the counter. It's such a simple but ingenious idea.

It's also a fun way to experiment with wallpaper without making a major cost, time, or labor commitment: Simply order a roll of your favorite paper, scrounge a bit of leftover paper from a friend who's papering a room, or hunt for vintage paper on eBay or from a shop like New York's Secondhand Rose. Then slip a length of it into these handy Jørgen Møller aluminum hangers and voila -- you have an instant, dramatic piece of "art."

I'm going to use the hangers to (finally!) display a bit of that much-debated vintage foil paper in our freshly painted brown bedroom.

For an even more affordable option, you could substitute a piece of large-scale, graphic wrapping paper, like this Nörsa Luxe Wildflower print, $6.50 a roll from Paper Source.

The one-nail poster hangers are $18 to $25, depending on width, from Rare Device. While you're there, be sure to take a look at the shop's selection of pretty Ferm wallpapers ($95 a roll).

Photo by Lisa Congdon

(And speaking of simple, genius ideas, I also loved the shop's striking homemade paper mobile, which was crafted by co-owner and artist Lisa Congdon. It'd be fun -- and, I think, pretty easy -- to construct something similar with a couple of embroidery hoops, some fishing line, a selection of pretty papers, and a hole punch.)

2 comments:

Kate F. said...

CB2 sells a version of this, to use with Marimekko wall hangings, but I have a giant map I want to try them with. Theirs are 58 inches wide!! This link is to the wall hanging, but if you scroll down you can see the hanging device:
http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=1260&f=4440&viewall=1

With that width there are so many ways to use them! Raven maps makes these enormous topographical maps of states; that's my plan... (I have the Oregon one!)

Bronwyn said...

I love the mobile. I 've been making mobiles, but mainly using natural and found objects and beads. Making mobiles is an easy and satisfying craft - well, the ones I make are easy:)

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.