Friday, January 4, 2008

Trendspotting: Subway Signs

New York City subway roller signs have been all over the design landscape during the last year or so.

Now that Pottery Barn has joined in with its own version (above, $79), I think it's pretty safe to say that the "subway signs as wall art" thing has officially jumped the shark.

Still, if you're hankering for an authentic vintage model, there are a few options. (But be warned -- they'll cost you.)

eBay seller JR's Framed Subway Signs has several restored New York City MTA signs listed for $225 to $1,000 each.

This circa-1940s Chicago streetcar version is $450 from Urban Remains.

1stdibs merchant Metropolis Modern is selling this framed beaut for a mere $1,800.

I don't know about you, but with prices like that, I think I'll just stick with my memories of riding the F train ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get NYC subway signs -- both old and reproductions right from the Transit Museum for _a lot_ less.

Anonymous said...

I saw the PB one and was actually surprised that such a big peice was only $79. I have walls to spare, and though this is not the righ peice for me,,,, its not a bad price.

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.