Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cool Stuff: Jacaranda Home

Do you think there's a condition in the DSM called "design schizophrenia"? Or maybe "multiple decorating personality"? Because I think I have it.

My aesthetic lately tends to veer wildly between simple and somewhat rustic modern, glam drama, retro funk, and exuberantly colorful pop. (Seriously, some days I wonder which of my "alters" went shopping the day before.)

Anyway, today I'm feeling colorful and a bit girly, so I'm loving the vibrant offerings from Jacaranda Home, which I spotted recently on Daily Candy.

With handmade traditional textiles from Central and South America and a focus on sustainability, Jacaranda's wares could easily fall into the "hippie world traveler" box -- but the company's collection has a cleanness that gives it a more contemporary vibe.

Indeed, New York-based founder Stefany Gonzalez draws on her Peruvian/Czech heritage to create a look that mixes "South American warmth and European austerity" and that "highlights the union between modern and natural materials."

Take a look:

Otomi fabric panels and squares, hand-embroidered in a variety of juicy hues by Mexico's Otomi Indians, can be used as a bedspreads, tablecloths, curtains, wall hangings, or upholstery. They're $72 to $395 each, depending on size.

Bolivian Embroidered Shawls, $175 each, are perfect for adding a splash of color at the foot of a bed, on the back of a sofa, or across the arm of a chair.

These Tule and Otomi Cushions, $225 each, can be used as floor pillows or as dog beds.

You can't get much more fun and feminine than these color-blocked Hand-Embroidered Throw Pillows, $45 each.

El Palomar Dishes, $30 to $42, are lead-free and handmade in Tlaquepaque, Mexico.

These decorative Painted Wooden Plates are $40 apiece.

See all of the offerings in Jacaranda Home's online store.

(Now then, who will I be when I wake up tomorrow?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah, this is a fabulous find. Thank you so much. I have been looking for the patterns on those plates. I had seen it somewhere but was never able to identify it or describe it to anyone, but here it is!

JanelleGrace said...

I think I have multiple decorating personality. I love the clean lines of mid-century modern but also the curviness of French antiques. I also love very natural, calming colors but I also need some bright colors. So how the heck do I do this without looking one of those crazy ladies with fifteen cats and a parrot?

Anonymous said...

wow, do I know how you feel...right after I read your post on Jacaranda Home, I saw this at AP
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/rugs-carpets/coqo-floral-rugs-from-anthropologie-041699

and wanted it all---today...but, like you, I have to wonder what will tomorrow bring? :)

amber {daisy chain} said...

yes! I've self diagnosed myself with the same disorder, I'm afraid...it's almost too hard to stick to one style when there are SO many amazing things to choose from!

katiedid said...

Thanks for the info! I have been trying to find this fabric for awhile now. Great resource!

Anonymous said...

Jacaranda is a great site, and I saw that they do have some jewelery. Can anyone offer tips for finding Peruvian filigree jewelery, and/or Peruvian textiles in the U.S.? I found aesthetyx.com , but any additional help would be appreciated.

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.