Wednesday, June 11, 2008

That's Random: There But for the Grace of God ...

Please pardon the relatively light posting here the last couple of days. In preparation for our big house swap and trip to Portland next week, I've been on an epic house-cleaning, organizing, and redecorating blitz. (There's nothing quite like total strangers descending upon your home to light a fire under your ass, is there?) Which means that I have less time to post right now, but will have lots of fresh shots of repainted, rearranged, and sparkling-clean rooms to share with you shortly!

In the meantime I couldn't resist sharing the image above, taken by someone I know of a neighbor's bathroom (I'm being vague here to protect the guilty parties). And, just for the record, this photo is 100-percent real and was not staged. And yes, someone was actually living here until quite recently -- though apparently, the homeowner showered elsewhere. It makes me feel a little better when I'm up to my eyeballs in dustbunnies and the explosion of toys and rock collections covering every surface of my kids' rooms ...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What, you're coming to Portland next week? Based on your great Portland posts, I'm in Portland _this_ week. I'm returning to Oakland today, just as the weather is getting nice and warm in PDX. (And I left Oakland just as it suddenly became nice and warm, too.) Despite the weather, best vacation EVER. Thanks for the inspiration, Leah! I'm going home a few pounds heavier and you're right, the people are so nice. Eerily, scarily, genuinely nice.

Leah said...

Betty -- that's so funny!

If you have a sec, please post your faves from the trip here.

Funky Finds said...

omg...that is a REAL home environment!? scary!

Anonymous said...

That picture reminds me of a home I stayed in for three days as a pre-teen... the home of a relative who quite clearly had a hoarding disorder.

This relative even saved leftovers from, apparently, all the restaurants she'd ever eaten at, "storing" them in the "guest" room where I stayed. They were in the take-away cartons and in various stages of decomposition, on a continuum of rotting to dessicated.

I remember being frightened that I was staying with someone who was so clearly out of control. I really wanted my mommy, to just go home. But my relative, although clearly eccentric, was very nice to me. Eventually my worries subsided somewhat. And I slept uneasily, in a small space I'd created amongst the huge piles of junk, hoping that nothing toppled over on me in the nighttime.

I suspect that your neighbor needs medical assistance.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Yikes, that makes my messy hall photo on my blog look not so bad afterall.

It is nice and sunny and warm in Portland! We will be heading out of town while you are coming to town...I hope you have a fabulous stay! Can't wait to see your pictures and report when you return!

Melissa

Jeanne said...

Wow. Wasn't there a "Malcom In the Middle" episode where the parents found out that their storage closet was actually a bathroom? It was so full of stuff that they didn't know.

I agree with the other commenter--the person whose house this is is mentally ill and needs help.

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.