Friday, November 21, 2008

The Artful Home: Jennifer Zahigian Photography

Oakland photographer Jennifer Zahigian's love for her chosen medium began as a child, when her grandfather gave her her first camera and taught her how to develop film in his darkroom.

Fittingly, Zahigian's photos -- these ones are mostly from her "Roadside" series -- are nostalgic but not sentimental, quietly and soberly capturing the faded, forgotten corners of Americana that colored so many of our childhoods. I think they're exquisite. Above: Mammoth Orange, Highway 99, Calif.

Whitewalls, San Pablo, Calif.

Phonebooth

A Warm Day for Ice, Central Coast, Calif.

Rex Motel, Salinas, Calif.

Bottled Liquors, Cambridge, Mass.

Railway, Las Vegas, Nev.

Hoppy, Fresno, Calif.

Motel, Minnesota

Each image is available as a large, limited-edition chromogenic print, and most are also available as smaller, limited-edition metallic-paper prints. Prices range from $35 for a 6-by-9-inch matted print to $375 for framed prints measuring up to 20 by 30 inches.

Zahigian's photography can be seen at SFMOMA's Artists Gallery and at Oakland boutique Mignonne through the end of December. Check out more of her work right here.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I love these photographs. Thanks for the tip about the photographer. They remind me of Australia and I love the colours. Carla

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness: I grew up with Jen, but lost touch after high school. So glad to see she's successful; her pics are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

She's my aunt, basically my older sister though. I grew up around her taking photos and i absolutely love every single one of them.

Love you Jen : )

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.