Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Retail Therapy: Relish at Home

Update:  This post originally ran in May, but I just learned that owner Kelly Sperbeck is closing Berkeley's Relish at Home to focus on her own product design business and to relaunch the shop online. Relish at Home's last day as a brick and mortar is Friday, January 16, and until then everything in the store is 30 to 75 percent off, with progressive markdowns as the last day approaches.

A bit off the beaten track in West Berkeley is a tiny gem of a shop called Relish at Home. Despite its modest size, the store is chock full of absolutely lovely little things that are perfect when you need a gift that will surprise and delight its recipient, or when you simply want to treat yourself to something really special.

Opened three years ago by Kelly Sperbeck, an indie artisan in her own right who creates sweet accessories under the name k.autumn, Relish focuses on handmade wares from independent designers -- many of them local.

Though housewares form the bulk of her inventory, Sperbeck stocks jewelry, papergoods, handbags and other personal accessories as well. (And in case you're wondering, this dreamy wall color is Behr's Aqua Bay -- which is now a serious contender for our about-to-be-repainted dining room.)

The shop also functions as an art gallery of sorts, featuring pieces from artists such as Jane Buck of Foxy & Winston, whose "Mammalia" show hung there last spring. Buck's collection of small, vibrantly colored silkscreen prints depicting woodland creatures ranges from $55 to $475 apiece.

Prices for many items are exceedingly reasonable. But be warned: A visit to Relish could be perilous to your pocketbook. I popped in planning to simply take a few snapshots and be on my way, but wound up dropping a fair amount of cash on a bag bursting with treasures that I just had to have. (Oh well, I love them all ... )

Here, a tour of the wee shop and a peek at its current inventory:

Bags from k studio ($139), Hable Construction ($168), and Lotta Jansdotter ($49); Papaver Vert felt trees ($60 to $79); and wall tiles by Xenia Taler ($35 to $108).

Tanpopo plates ($28), graphic Dovetail vases, and ceramic pieces from Perch! and j.mendicino ($35 to $60).

Papergoods from Sukie UK, Jill Bliss, Foxy & Winston, Nantaka Joy, Chewing the Cud, Satsuma Press, and others.

Origami PJ Pocket Pillows from Modern-Twist ($85), and harlequin-patterned bowls from Anna Elzer Oscarson ($12).

Ceramics by Dovetail ($28) and j.mendicino ($35 to 55); tiny handblown glass bud vases from Sugahara ($20).

Clockwise: "Jelly Bean Rocks," river stones coated with 12 layers of colorful lacquer ($12); bunny pens and tape measures ($14 to $16); Log Bowls from Loyal Loot, $79 to $99; burrow owl from Roost, $26.

Airplants ($6 to $65) in vessels from Roost ($36) and Perch! ($29 to $89).

j.mendicino vases ($30 to $60), one of Jill Bliss' fabric Autumn birds ($32), and a Satsuma letterpress print ($39).

Birds by Jill Bliss and k.autumn ($24).

Lampshades from Mibo ($82 to $110) and small Hide Boxes from Modern-Twist ($25).

Felted vessels from Papaver Vert ($20 to $82), and harlequin cups from Anna Elzer Oscarson ($10).

Clockwise: Print from Jill Bliss ($16); pillows from Joom ($50 to $70), Ciuccio ($29), and k studio ($375 a pair).

Relish at Home is located at 2703 7th St. #112 at Pardee in Berkeley, and is open Wednesdays through Saturdays from noon to 6 p.m.

(Need some more Retail Rx? See other great shops I've featured right here.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up, Leah!
Great blog post!

Kelly- if your reading this--YOUR SHOP IS DARLING! Very nicely curated. : )

-shelly from k studio

this humble abode said...

I absolutely love Relish at Home, and find it too dangerous to stop by since I always buy something. I purchased some gorgeous jewelry that I wore in my wedding. Thanks for including ciuccio, I'm honored to be alongside some many talents.

Patty said...

Great pics Leah!
Relish is such a great shopping destination in the Easy Bay and Kelly makes the experience that much more! I'm happy to just be a part of it :)

charlie w. said...

Wow! So many great pics, it's just like being at the shop. You've really captured it, and reminded me that I need to go there again soon!

Meg said...

That shop looks so wonderful, I'm glad I'm not local, or I would be flat broke! What a great collection of artists. Love the blog, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I love Kelly's shop! I need to return soon for some more beautiful jewelry....I love my earrings I bought from Relish :-)

Anonymous said...

*blushing* You guys are the best! Thank you for so many wonderful messages! Leah, I'm so honored
to be featured on your DEE-lightful blog! Thank you for presenting such a fantastic tour :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh...I need to go there. Those harlequin patterned bowls and mugs are calling my name! Looks like a really awesome shop.

Anonymous said...

Omigosh! Fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing I need to go there ASAP!

Turquoise said...

Great pics! Thank you for the info!

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea who makes the little vases with the cupcake and mushroom patterns?

Leah said...

Ali -- I don't, sorry. I'm sure you could write Kelly at the shop and ask her to ID them for you.

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

Loved this post!

Jen Ramos
'Cards & Prints You'll Love...'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.