Monday, May 4, 2009

That's Random: Keeping the Dog Dry, and Other Domestic Pursuits

My daughter, who turns 11 today, spent much of yesterday morning fashioning a raincoat for our corgi, Bonnie. She insisted -- and since it's her birthday, I reluctantly agreed -- that I show it to all of you. She wants everyone to admire her handiwork, but she declined to provide step-by-step instructions for this project (as she has for others in the past), because she doesn't want anyone copying her design. (Hint: It basically involves a rectangular piece of oilcloth lined with cotton and held in place with Velcroed straps at the neck and belly. Shhhh -- you didn't hear it from me.) So here you go: Dog raincoat by Laurel.

Then, at her own insistence, she spent the afternoon baking her birthday cake from scratch. (Lemon with curd and berries -- yum. An overly complicated recipe from my arch nemesis Martha, of course.) While she was doing this, I believe I was taking a nap. Hey, she's been baking cakes with little assistance from me since kindergarten ...

It's a good thing this girl was born at home, because otherwise I'd worry that she'd been switched at the hospital. Still, she did not get this domestic gene from me. (Just curious: Does anyone else's fifth grader beg for a copy of the humongous Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts for her birthday? That's kind of weird, right?)

Anyway, happy birthday, my love! And by the way: That 10-pound package with the big bow on it? I think you'll be pleased by the contents. Me, well, that's a different story.

5 comments:

zebtron said...

How cool! My kids started baking their own birthday cakes when they were little. What creative and monstrous things they came up with. They were the envy of all their friends. Happy birthday to your daughter.

monaluna said...

that is awesome! happy birthday Laurel!

RookieMom Whitney said...

This made me laugh. She is adorable and I love that she had a project to show off, but refused a tutorial.

katiedid said...

Hahaha! Lucky you! The baking bug keeps getting stronger with practice...my 17 yr. old (just turned on Saturday)is amazingly adept with baker's chocolate and a kitchen torch.

Hope she had a very happy birthday! My daughter's was on the 2nd! Your's too?

Annie Pazoo said...

What a cool kid! Happy b-day!

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.